Conscious Oral Sedation
What is Conscious Sedation:
Is it safe? Will it work for me? These are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding “Sedation Dentistry”. To help you and your loved ones decide if this is right for you, we’re going to answer these questions for you before you even have to ask.
There is a choice of sedation medications that can be used. You and your doctor will review many factors like your individual medical history to choose which one is right for you. Most of our patients are administered Triazolam. This medication has been used for many, many years and has now found a home in dentistry. In 1996, it was prescribed over 26,000,000 times. Other medications with similar safety backgrounds may also be used for your treatment. The historical safety of these medications gives us great confidence in using them. There is even a medication available to reverse the effects!
To ensure your safety, while you are medicated you are continually monitored for vital signs. Baseline readings are taken at your first visit so we know what is normal for you.
Points to remember: Conscious Sedation is a mild sedation.
- It is safe.
- You are in control of your own airways and reflex.
- It is possible to take you out of sedation condition quickly with a reversal agent.
- There are NO aftereffects such as headaches or nausea.
- You can return to work the next day without any problems.
- You feel like you are having a nice afternoon nap.
- You are relaxed and slightly amnesic and yet stlll able to respond to the dental team’s verbal commands.
- Most patients remember arriving at the dental office and leaving the office.
Call one of our locations closest to you and make an appointment to visit the team and meet the doctor.